[TOP 5] Meat consumption in Japan / What kind of meat do Japanese people eat ?

This page consists of ….

  • TOP 5 Kind of meat which Japanese eat
  • Annual consumption of each kind of meat in a year
  • Popular dishes in each kind of meat
  • A piece of advise by webmaster

This page is to help the people :

  • Who are interested in Japanese culture
  • Who want to know Japanese life
  • Who want to know Japanese food

Visitor

I want to try to have Japanese cuisines

SHINTA+

That’s nice ! What kind of food do you like ?

Visitor

I like meat dish ! But I’m afraid that there would be some ingredients unusual for me….

SHIINTA+

No problem, I would like to introduce Japanese food culture, what kind of meat Japanese eat !

With reading of this page, you will get above listed knowledges as well as Japanese have. I will be very glad if you could read this article to the end.

Thank you !

Writer
SHINTA+

SHINTA+ / Japanese blog writer, born and raised in Japan, visited more than 20 countries, introducing Japanese culture to the world, with both domestic & international experiences.

Meat for Japanese

The volume of meat Japanese eat is increasing year by year. According to Japanese government office, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, in 1960’s, it was less than 10 kg per person per year. However, in 2019, it became 50.7 kg per person per year.

Although it’s far from western countries, Luxembourg 136.5kg as no.1 meat eating country, U.S.A 125.4 kg as no.2 per person per year, Japanese have food culture to eat meat.

Pork / 20.5kg per person per year

Pork is the most popular meat in Japan. The amount of consumption is 20.5 kg per person per year, as of 2019. Self-sufficiency ratio is around 50 %. Remaining half is imported from U.S.A, Canada, Denmark, Spain, etc.

There are many Japanese cuisine with pork. Here are the popular pork dishes in Japan :

  • ‘Syoga-yaki’ = Pork ginger (above photo)
  • ’Tonkatsu’ = Pork cutlet
  • ’Tonjiru’ = Miso soup with pork and vegetables
  • ’Kukuni’ = Stew of cubed pork
  • ‘Buta-man’ = Steamed pork bun
SHINTA+

Pork is with reasonable price compare with beef !

Chicken / 19.5 kg per person per year

Chicken is the 2nd popular meat in Japan. The amount of consumption is 19.5 kg per person per year, as of 2019. Self-sufficiency ratio is around 2/3, 66 %. Remaining 1/3 is imported from Brazil, Thailand, China, etc.

There are many Japanese cuisine with chicken. Here are the popular chicken dishes in Japan :

  • ‘Kara-age’ = Fried chicken (above picture)
  • ’Yaki-Tori’ = Grilled chicken on a stick
  • ‘Oyakodon-don’ = Bowl of rice with chicken and egg
  • ’Mizu-taki’ = Chicken hot pot
SHINTA+

Kara-age is popular from younger to elders !

Beef / 10.3 kg per person per year

Beef is the 3rd popular meat in Japan. The amount of consumption is 10.3 kg per person per year, as of 2019. Self-sufficiency ratio is around 36 %. Remaining 64% is imported from Australia, U.S.A, etc.

There are various Japanese cuisine with beef. Here are the popular beef dishes in Japan :

  • Sukiyaki (above picture)
  • ’Gyu-don’ = Bowl of rice with beef

And there are many beef brand in Japan. It’s said that following are top brands in Japan :

  • Kobe beef
  • Matsusaka-ushi
  • Oumi-ushi
  • Yonezawa-gyu
SHINTA+

We eat SUKIYAKI in happy day !

Horse meat / 0.1 kg per person per year

Horse meat is with the 4th largest consumption in Japan. However, it’s not popular. Japanese eat only 0.1 kg per person per year, as of 2019. Self-sufficiency ratio is around 40 %. Remaining 60% is imported from Canada, Mexico, Argentina, etc.

Horse meat is eaten as local cuisine in some area in Japan. It’s mainly in Kumamoto, Nagano, Fukushima. Popular menu is ‘Basashi’ as raw horse meat (above photo) and ‘Sakura Nabe’ as horse meat hot pot.

SHINTA+

Rarely, but Japanese eat horse meat !

Others / 0.3 kg per person per year

Other than above mentioned, Japanese eat Mutton, lamb, venison, wild boar, chevon, Turkey, duck meat, quail, etc. However, these are not popular. The amount of consumption is very low. Ratio is less than 1%. 99% is pork, chicken, and beef.

These are rarely eaten as local cuisine. ‘Genghis Khan’ is local cuisine of mutton in Hokkaido (above picture). Chevon is local cuisine of southern island in Japan. And… Japanese never eat dog, cat, and monkey.

SHINTA+

5th is in chaos, Mutton, Lumb, Venison, etc !

Summary

In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article.

Kind of meat which Japanese eat, and its consumption

  • Pork / 20.5kg per person per year
  • Chicken / 19.5 kg per person per year
  • Beef / 10.3 kg per person per year
  • Horse meat / 0.1 kg per person per year
  • Others / 0.3 kg per person per year
    • Mutton, lamb, venison, wild boar, etc

SHINTA+

Now you got a knowledge of Japanese food culture !

Postscript

How was the content today ?

The consumption of meat is increasing year by year. I also like to eat meat, especially I like beef very much. I hope you could have a opportunity to have Japanese cuisine of meat, when you will come to Japan.

In the end, thank you very much for your reading and see you again !

Comment

Copied title and URL