- 4 major Gyudon Restaurants in Japan
- History of Gyudon Restaurants
- Number of restaurant in each chain
- A piece of advise by webmaster
- Who want to know Japanese culture
- Who want to enjoy Japanese Food
- Who want to know Japanese life
I walked well today…
Shall we go to dinner ?
But I don’t have much money…
No problem, I would like to introduce Gyudon restaurants, to enjoy meal with reasonable price.
With reading of this page, you will get above listed knowledges as well as Japanese have. I will be very glad if you could read this article to the end.
Thank you !
SHINTA+ / Japanese blog writer, born and raised in Japan, visited more than 20 countries, introducing Japanese culture to the world, with both domestic & international experiences.
Sukiya / 1936 stores in Japan
quotation source : https://www.sukiya.jp/sp/
‘Sukiya’ is the largest Gyudon restaurants chain in Japan. There are 1,936 of ‘Sukiya’ in Japan, as of February in 2020. We can see ‘Sukiya’ all over Japan, from Hokkaido to Okinawa.
First ‘Sukiya’ was opened in 1982 in Yokohama. After that, number of restaurants was increased year by year. In 2008, it became more than ‘Yoshinoya’ and most largest in Japan.
Facts about ‘Sukiya’
- Opened in 1982
- No.1 ‘Gyudon’ chain since 2008
- Curry rice, Seafood bowl also in the menu
- Supported by family, as table seats are set
SUKIYA is available almost all over Japan !
Yoshinoya / 1214 stores in Japan
quotation source : https://www.yoshinoya.com
‘Yoshinoya’ is the 2nd largest Gyudon restaurants chain in Japan. There are 1,214 of ‘Yoshinoya’ in Japan, as of February in 2020. We can see ‘Yoshinoya’ all over Japan, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, too.
‘Yoshinoya’ is the oldest Gyudon chain in Japan. First ‘Yoshinoya’ was opened in 1899 in Tokyo. Until 2003, only Gyudon was in the menu. However, currently, pork, chicken are listed.
Facts about ‘Yoshinoya’
- Oldest Gyudon chain, since 1899
- until 2008, largest chain in Japan
- until 2003, only Gyudon was provided
- More than 900 of ‘Yoshinoya’ outside Japan
My favorite is Yoshinoya !
Matsuya / 1185 stores in Japan
quotation source : https://www.matsuyafoods.co.jp/matsuya/
‘Matsuya’ is the 3rd largest Gyudon restaurants chain in Japan. There are 1,185 ‘Matsuya’ in Japan, as of February in 2020. We can see ‘Matsuya’ almost all over Japan, except Aomori, Tottori, Shimane, Kochi, etc.
First ‘Matsuya’ was opened in 1968 in Tokyo. In 2012, the number of ‘Sukiya’ became more than 1,000. In Matsuya, miso soup is free, when customers ordered Gyudon, which is different from other three.
Facts about ‘Matsuya’
- First ‘Matsuya’ opened in 1968
- More than 1,000 of ‘Matsuya’ since 2012
- Currey Rice, Pork are also provided
- Miso soup is free
Matsuya is rather reasonable !
Nakau / 464 stores in Japan
quotation source : https://www.nakau.co.jp/jp/sp/index.html
‘Nakau’ is the 4th largest Gyudon restaurants chain in Japan, however, it’s far from other three. There are 464 ‘Nakau’ in Japan, as of February in 2020. It’s mainly in Kansai area, like Kyoto and Osaka.
’Nakau’ was independent company in the past. However, in 2005, Zensho as operator of ‘Sukiya’ acquired ‘Nakau’. So currently, ‘Nakau’ is in a group of ‘Sukiya’.
Facts about ‘Nakau’
- First ‘Nakau’ was opened in 1974 in Osaka
- Acquired by Zensho (Sukiya) in 2005
- Udon & Oyako don are in the menu
- Original song is playing in ‘Nakau’
I loved Nakau, however, taste changed after 2005….
Tokyo Chikara Meshi
Quotation sauce : https://www.sankofoods.com/shop/chikara/
As of 2012, here were more than 100 of ‘Tokyo Chikara Meshi’ in Japan, mainly Tokyo and Osaka and suburbs. Regret, however, most of restaurants were already closed. Currently only 3 ‘Tokyo Chikara Meshi’ is open.
Gyudon Restaurant became oligopolistic market for 4 Gyudon restaurant chains…
Yaki Gyudon of ‘Tokyo Chikara Meshi’ was nice….
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article.
- Sukiya / 1,936 stores in Japan
- Yoshinoya / 1,214 stores in Japan
- Matsuya / 1,185 stores in Japan
- Nakau / 464 stores in Japan
- Tokyo Chikara Meshi / more than 100 at peak
We can eat Gyudon almost everywhere in Japan !
Thank you very much for your reading and see you again !
How was the content today ?
Gyudon is very popular food in Japan. I have experience to have Gyudon in all rested chain. I personally like ‘Yoshinoya’ and ‘Matsuya’ very much. I hope you can find your preferred Gyudon, in your stay in Japan.
Thank you for reading and see you again !