Hello ! My name is shinta, Japanese blog writer, born and raised in Japan. I’m introducing real Japanese culture, from Japan to the world.
- to know what is ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen’ in Japan
- to know history of ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen’ in Japan
- to get bits of knowledge about ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen’ in Japan
In this page, I would like to introduce ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen’ in Japan
You may get knowledge of ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen’ in Japan, as well as Japanese have, after reading of this article. Have fun !
What is Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen
Tokaido Shinkansen is the faster train from Shin Osaka station to Tokyo station and Sanyo Shinkansen is from Hakata to Shin Osaka, coverings main cities, Nagoya, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc. More than 600,000 people per day is using this line. Everybody know this Shinkansen, in Japan.
Basic knowledge of ‘Tokaido Shinkansen’
- Faster train in Japan
- Connecting large cities
- Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya
- Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe
- Okayama, Hiroshima, Hakata
- 600,000 passengers per day (Before COVID-19)
- The body color is Blue and White
Tokaido Shinkansen is opened in 1964 as first high speed train in the world, operating more than 200 km/h, from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka station. In 1972, extended from Shin-Osaka to Okayama, 1975, to Hakata, as Sanyo Shinkansen. As of 2020, maximum speed in actual operation is 285km/h.
History of ‘Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen
- 1964 Started operation from Tokyo to Shin Osaka
- 1964 Maximum operating speed 210 km/h
- 1972 Extended to Okayama
- 1975 Extended to Hakata
- 1986 Maximum operating speed 220km/h
- 1992 Maximum operating speed 270km/h
- 2015 Maximum operating speed 285km/h
Names of Train
More than 350 of trains are operated per day. And there are three types of trains run in Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen. Although operating interval is ver tight, except unexpected events, like earthquakes, heavy snow, storm, almost all Shinkansen are on time arriving and departure.
Names of train in Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen
- Nozomi as fastest train
- Stopping very limited station
- 10 ‘Nozomi’ per hour (*)
- Hikari as second faster train
- Skip some stations
- 2 ‘Hikari’ per hour (*)
- Stopping all stations
- 3 Kodama per hour (*)
- (*) subject to cancellations by COVID-19
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article as follows
Very useful, for both business and travel.
- Faster train, connecting large cities in Japan
- Started operation in 1964
- ‘Nozomi’, ‘Hikari’, ‘Kodama’ are running
That’s all today.
How was the content today ?
Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen is a main artery in Japan. I often use Shinkansen, in both business and private. In most of cases, trains operated with much precision. It’s very nice for us to move in line with planned schedule.
In the end, thank you very much for your reading today and see you again !