With reading of this page, you will get above listed knowledges as well as Japanese have. I will be very glad if you could read this article to the end.
Thank you !
Basic Knowledge about Japanese Family name
All of Japanese have a family name. It’s said that more than 290,000 types of family name in sound basis and 130,000 with letter basis (Japanese utilizes Kanji letter which has multiple readings).
Although there are enormous numbers of family name, most of them are very rare. It’s said that top 5,000 names covers 80% of population.
SATO / approx 1,900,000
SATO is the most popular family name in Japan. There are more than 1.9 millions of SATO-san in our country. SATO generally consist of two Kanji characters. ‘Sa’ means ‘support’ and ‘To’ does ‘Wisteria’.
Celebrity with name ‘SATO’
- SATO Eisaku / 61-63th Prime Minister
- SATO Koichi / Actor
- SATO Hisato / Football player
- SATO Shiori / Fashion model
- SATO Takeru / Actor
SUZUKI / approx 1,800,000
SUZUKI is the 2nd popular family name in Japan. There are approximately 1.8 millions of SUZUKI-san in our country. SUZUKI generally consist of two Kanji. ‘Suzu’ means ‘Bell’ and ‘Ki’ does ‘Tree’.
Celebrity with name ‘SUZUKI’
- SUZUKI Zenko / 70th Prime Minister
- SUZUKI Osamu / President of SUZUKI motor
- ICHIRO / Baseball player, real name SUZUKI Ichiro
- SUZUKI Daichi / Gold Medalist, swimming
- SUZUKI Q-taro / Comedian
TAKAHASHI / approx 1,400,000
TAKAHASHI is the 3rd popular family name in Japan. There are approximately 1.4 millions of TAKAHASHI-san in our country. TAKAHASHI generally consist of two Kanji. ‘Taka’ means ‘High’ and ‘Hashi’ does ‘Bridge’.
Celebrity with name ‘TAKAHASHI’
- TAKAHASHI Korekiyo/ 20th Prime Minister
- TAKAHASHI Hideki / Actor
- TAKAHASHI MEIJIN / Pioneer of Professional Game Player
- TAKAHASHI Naoko / Gold Medalist, Women’s Malathion
- TAKAHASHI Rumiko / Manga Artist
TANAKA / approx 1,300,000
TANAKA is the 4th popular family name in Japan. There are approximately 1.3 millions of TANAKA-san in our country. TANAKA generally consist of two Kanji. ‘Ta’ means ‘Rice Field’ and ‘Naka’ does ‘Central’.
Celebrity with name ‘TANAKA’
- TANAKA Kakuei / 64-65th Prime Minister
- TANAKA Masahiro / Baseball Player
- TANAKA Marcus Tulio / Football Player
- TANAKA Minami / Freelance Announcer
- TANAKA Shozo / Politician
ITO / approx 1,080,000
ITO is the 5th popular family name in Japan. There are approximately 1.1 millions of ITO-san in our country. ITO generally consist of two Kanji. ‘I’ is prefix to strength meaning go following word, and ’To’ means ‘Wisteria’.
Celebrity with name ‘ITO’
- ITO Hirobumi / First Prime Minister
- Terry ITO / TV Producer
- ITO Asako / Comedienne
- ITO Hideaki / Actor
- ITO Sairi / Actress
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article.
Thank you very much for your reading and see you again !
How was the content today ?
There are so many family names in Japan. You might have a friend who has above mentioned family name. If you have a chance to see news about Japanese, please pay attention to the family name of the person in the news. You will get knowledge of Japanese.
In the end, thank you very much for your reading and see you again !