In this page, I would like to introduce ‘SONY’ in Japan
You may get knowledge of ‘SONY’ in Japan, as well as Japanese have, after reading of this article. Have fun !
What is SONY
quotation source : https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2019-02-07/PMKXK26JIJUS01
SONY as of today is very large company who making various businesses, not only electronics, but also insurance, real estate, etc. SONY has approx 1,700 of group companies. Japanese see and hear name of SONY in various situations in the life.
The business by SONY
- Electrical products
- Home game console
- Entertainment (Music, Movie, etc)
quotation source : https://www.playstation.com/ja-jp/
SONY has various products, as they make businesses in various industries. Some of them have large share in Japanese market. It’s very difficult for Japanese to live without SONY brand.
Major SONY products in Japanese market
- Flat Panel TV ‘BRAVIA’ (Market share 23% in 2019)
- Play Station 4 (8.7 millions units sold in total)
- Video Camera (Market share 23% in 2019)
- Mirrorless Camera (Market share 26 % in 2019)
- Wireless Earphones (Market share 14% in 2019)
- Car Insurance (No.1 sales in ‘Direct Type’ category)
quotation source : https://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/sonyhistory-e.html
In 1946, founders, Mr. Masaru Ibuka and Mr. Akio Morita established ‘Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation’, later known as ‘SONY’. SONY contributed to development of Japanese economy well and got support of Japanese people.
History of SONY
- Established in 1946, year after the end of WWII
- In 1950 developed first tape recorder in Japan
- In 1955, developed first transistor radio in Japan
- In 1958, changed company name to SONY
- In 1979, developed portable audio, ‘WALKMAN’
- In 1993, PlayStation is released
- In 2001, established SONY BANK
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article as follows
That’s all today.
How was the content today ?
SONY is a very famous brand in Japan. Recently, power of brand seems slightly decreased, due to rising of foreign products, like apple. However Japanese still support SONY, and I really like it , actually, TV in my living room is SONY.
In the end, thank you very much for your reading today and see you again !