In this page, I would like to introduce ‘NPB’ in Japan
You may get knowledge of ‘NPB’ in Japan, as well as Japanese have, after reading of this article. Have fun !
What is ‘NPB’
quotation source : https://npb.jp/#
‘NPB’ is promoter of professional baseball league in Japan. There are two leagues under ‘NPB’, Central league and Pacific league. Each league consists of 6 team, in total 12 teams. As there is no lower categories like ‘division 2’, number of teams are fixed long time.
Basic information about ‘NPB’
- Promoter of professional baseball league in Japan
- Two leagues, Central league and Pacific league
- Central League
- Yomiuri Giants, based in Tokyo
- Yokohama DeNA Baystars, in Yokohama
- Hanshin Tigers, in Nishinomiya city
- Hiroshima Toyo Carp, in Hiroshima
- Chunichi Dragons, in Nagoya
- Tokyo Yakult Swallows, in Tokyo
- Pacific league
- Saitama Seibu Lions, in Saitama
- Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, in Fukuoka
- Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
- Chiba Lotte Marines, in Chiba
- Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters
- ORIX Buffaloes, in Osaka
- Central League
History of ‘NPB’
quotation source : https://npb.jp/news/detail/20160225_02.html
Baseball was imported from U.S.A in 1872. Firstly, baseball was spread to students. As it was getting popular, in 1936, professional baseball league was started by 7 teams, finally. After suspension during WWII, in 1949, league was divided into two, and in 1958, number of teams were fixed as twelve.
History of ‘NPB’ (Professional Baseball)
- 1872 Baseball imported from USA
- 1936 Professional baseball league established
- 1949 League was divided into two
- 1958 Number of teams fixed as 12
Competitors of ‘NPB’
quotation source : https://twitter.com/tokyogiants/status/1318854923417645056?s=21
‘NPB’ was exclusive promoter of professional baseball league in Japan, longtime. However, in 2005, Shikoku islands league was established as independent league. After that, some baseball leagues were established. However, the league of ‘NPB’ is still in top level in both players and numbers of spectators.
More information about ‘NPB’
- Until 2005, exclusive promoter in Japan
- Since 2005, the leagues out of NPB established
- Shikoku Islands League
- Baseball Challenge League
- ‘NBP’ still has very large advantages
- Level of players
- Financial power
- Number of spectators
- Exposure in media, etc
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article as follows
That’s all today.
How was the content today ?
Baseball is very popular sports in Japan. Professional baseball league by NPB is very special in Japanese society. I often go to stadium to watch the game of baseball. It’s really exiting !