- Top 5 major events in October
- Brief guidance about 5 events
- A piece of advise by webmaster
- Who want to know Japanese culture
- Who want to know items Japanese like
- Who want to enjoy staying in Japan
October is coming!
Yes, it is.
I want to enjoy this month as well as Japanese do.
No problem, I would like to introduce what Japanese do in October !
With reading of this page, you will get above listed knowledges as well as Japanese have. I will be very glad if you could read this article to the end.
Thank you !
SHINTA+ / Japanese blog writer, born and raised in Japan, visited more than 20 countries, introducing Japanese culture to the world, with both domestic & international experiences.
Taiiku no hi / Sports no hi
’Taiiku no hi’ is a national holiday in Japan. It’s 2nd Monday in October. The name will be changed to ‘Sports no hi’ from 2020. Until 1999, date was 10th. October, based on the date of opening ceremony of Tokyo Olympic Games in 1964.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Taiiku no hi’
- National holiday in 2nd Monday in October
- It was 10th. October until 1999
- Coming from Tokyo Olympic in 1964
- To make good society through sports
October is nice to do sports !
‘Undo Kai’ is the sports event in schools in Japan. Students play various sports compete scores with divided into multiple teams. In the past, majority is in October. However recently, in some cases, this event is held in May instead of October.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Undo Kai’
- Sports event in schools
- Compete scores with multiple teams
- Generally, it’s open only to students and parents
- Schedule is shifted to May, in some cases, to have good weather
Most of Japanese have memory of Undo Kai in school age !
Shokuyoku no aki
October is in the harvest season in Japan. Various fresh foods are on the market. This kind of situation is called ‘Shokuyoku no Aki’, means ‘Appetite in Autumn’. People need to pay attention to overeating.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Shokuyoku no Aki’
- Harvest season with appetite
- Seasonal food in October
- Pacific Saury
- Mushrooms, Potatoes, Carrots
- Chestnut, Apples, Grapes
- People pay attention to overeating
Foods in October is good !
Halloween is getting popular year by year in Japan, with very strong promotion by advertising agencies. However, most of people don’t understand the meaning of this event. Just enjoying disguise and party with friends.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Halloween’ in Japan
- Getting popular year by year
- People don’t know meaning of the event
- There’s no religious
- Just enjoy disguise and party with friends
- The words, ‘Trick or Treat’ is famous, but don’t know exact meaning
Halloween is getting rather popular in Japan.
‘Jidai Matsuri’ festival is held in Kyoto in every October. There are parades by people wearing traditional dresses of various era in Japanese history.
We can see parades of aristocrat in old era, and Samurai in middle age, in central area of Kyoto city.
It’s so nice to see Japanese traditional wear !
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article as follows
- Taiku-no hi / Sports no hi (Sports day)
- Undo kai (Sports festival in school)
- Shokuyoku no Aki (Harvest season)
- Jidai Matsuri
October is rather comfortable month in Japan
That’s all today.
How was the content today ?
I hope you could find something new about Japanese life in October. If you have a opportunity to come to Japan in this month, please carefully observe Japanese people. I believe you can find the facts in line with the article.
In the end, thank you very much for your reading and see you again !