- Top 5 major events in August
- Brief guidance about 5 events
- A piece of advise by webmaster
- Who want to know Japanese culture
- Who want to know items Japanese like
- Who want to enjoy staying in Japan
It’s too hot in August in Japan
Yes, it is…
I don’t want to anything…
No problem, I would like to introduce events in August.
I hope you want to go around Japan !
With reading of this page, you will get above listed knowledges as well as Japanese have. I will be very glad if you could read this article to the end.
Thank you !
SHINTA+ / Japanese blog writer, born and raised in Japan, visited more than 20 countries, introducing Japanese culture to the world, with both domestic & international experiences.
Hanabi Taikai is the event to make fireworks, which is mainly held in summer, August in Japan. According to the report of Hanabi industry by DBJ, more than 6,000 of Hanabi Taikai are held in a year in Japan.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Hanabi Taikai’
- Event to enjoy fireworks in Japan
- More than 6,000 of Hanabi Taikai per year
- In 2020, most of them are cancelled due to COVID-19
- Participate in the event with Yukata wear
- Many food stands, ‘Yatai’ are on the street
Fireworks are so beautiful !
In 1945, WWII was ended with enormous number of victims in Japan. To pray peace and commit no-war, there are many events to commemorate the victims of WWII, in Japan.
Bits of knowledge about ‘WWII relevant’
- 6th. August, Atomic bomb on Hiroshima
- 9th. August, Atomic bomb on Nagasaki
- 15th. August, End of WWII
- Memorial Ceremony are held
Japanese really love peace !
Obon is a traditional event in Japan, around 15th. August, to honor the sprit of ancestors. In this period, most of private companies are closed, called ‘Obon Yasumi’ holidays. So there are traffic jam, congestion of public transport, etc.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Obon’
- To honor the sprit of ancestors
- Companies closed around 15th. August
- Many people go around Japan
- Traffic congestion, ‘U Turn rush’ is occurred
Japanese spend Obon days with family.
quotation source : https://weathernews.jp/a/repo/38845953
Koshien is the name of ballpark. There is the tournament of baseball for high school students at Koshien. More than 3,700 of high schools participate in qualifying tournament in 49 areas.
Bits of knowledge about ‘Koshien’
- Baseball tournament for high school students
- More than 3,700 of high school participate
- Since 1915, suspension 1918 (riot), 1941-45(WWII)
- In 2020, tournament is cancelled, due to COVID-19
I played baseball in my high school age, to try to go Koshien !
Natsu Matsuri (Summer Festivals)
In August, there are many festivals held all over Japan. From smaller to larger, it’s uncountable, many people enjoy and participate in festivals at hometown.
Some of them are very famous and lot of tourist come there.
- Nebuta Matsuri in Aomori
- Kanto Matsuri in Akita
- Yosakoi Matsuri in Kochi
- Hanagasa Matsuri in Yamagata
- Awa Odori in Tokushima
All of festivals are with much energy !
In the end, I would like to summarize the points of this article as follows
- Hanabi festival
- WWII memorial days
- Obon holidays
- Koshien baseball tournament
- Natsu Matsuri
August is very hot and humid in Japan
That’s all today.
How was the content today ?
I hope you could find something new about Japanese life in August. If you have a opportunity to come to Japan in this month, please carefully observe Japanese people. I believe you can find the facts in line with the article.
In the end, thank you very much for your reading and see you again !